Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Wednesday 8 January 2014

No action yet in the January sales?

I've yet to speak to, or read anything from, a Villan who is not deeply concerned about what's going on at Villa Park. But the good news is that something has hit a chord with the management that something does need doing, and they're apparently ready to spend some loot to kick-start Villa back into life.

Now whether a reported 750k offer for a Norwich midfielder is the kind of stuff that's appropriate, I don't know, and it sounds a bit unlikely. However, as the player in question previously played under Lambert then perhaps there's a rapport there that will reap dividends. Perhaps; but it's still not the kind of spend that one associates with a serious attempt at putting things aright.

And then there's talk of a 6m bid for Lescott - but is a CB the real need? I would support this bid (if it is true) as Lescott may well be the kind of player to help lead the team out of trouble. I would expect him to show a good deal of commitment.

But the main man that's really needed i.m.o is a playmaker. And a good 'un too. A Gordon Cowans or Garry Parker replica would do me. However, Villa perhaps need 3 decent players in to make an acceptable difference.

Lastly, I have to say that the overall plan to put a halt to silly wage expenditures was, in my view, a necessary one. I was saying that even in Doug's day. But to build a team purely from young players without sufficient experience also existing in the team (and in the key positions) was always going to be a big risk in my view. And injuries have not helped at all. It has resulted in a lot of suffering for Villa's fans and that experience is almost unforgivable ... well, almost.

The need is to correct the situation, and if that is done then I am pretty sure the fans will be supportive. But the boss needs to act - and quick!

No comments: