Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Sunday 9 May 2021

Heads Up Guys!

Well, one thing is sure is that Everton are not Man U! These last two games were a bit like the difference between chalk and cheese, or even the difference between blue and red.

As for Villa's performances in these last two matches, I am actually quite heartened, despite this defeat. For the first time since Jack took a back seat, in this past week I have seen movement and commitment in the Villa that shows a good basis for next season. At long last the look of reliance on Jack - the appearance that the rest of the team had lost their leader - had gone: they look as though they are a team though clearly there are two or three problems that need sorting.

Today we gave away an unnecessary penalty, as in the first game at Old Trafford, and with the same two players involved, Pogba and Luiz. And once that had gone in I felt something in my veins suggesting that they would grab a quick second. My veins are clearly a problem for me.

I have to say something about Traore. There are those that say he doesn't do enough, but if he can muster out of nothing a goal such as he scored today then for my money he's worth his place. And that wasn't the only thing he did: the way he stole the ball away from Pogba on the edge of our penalty area made me chuckle. Pogba didn't know what had hit him and clearly thought that he was about to score. Traore was also nicely involved in a few moves, but towards the end he could have done better with the final ball. Perhaps he was getting tired, poor feller.

Barkley was greatly improved against his old mates at Everton, but today he was not allowed to sparkle so much. He looked a bit flat, but still an improvement on a few games ago.

But we now have a very interesting situation with Watkins seeing red today. Surely Davis will have to start on Thursday versus Everton; Wesley doesn't look ready to me. Should Jack also be back for this one then the chances of Davis making his mark would be vastly increased. I also would like to see Sanson replace Luiz, though perhaps we'll only see him as a sub. Luiz is pretty tidy in his midfield passing, but I clench my teeth when he goes into a tackle in or around our penalty box. I remember thinking the same about Gueye.

But perhaps Ramsay will get the nod.

Anyhow, heads up! I feel the club will be more like what we hope for next season - and those long-named young players on today's bench will hopefully be part of Villa's resurgence.

UTV!


No comments: