Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Thursday 25 July 2019

Interesting Stuff, But What About The Green Shoots?

I so much want to see the product of Villa's Academy succeeding, but going by the pre-season friendlies I'm afraid I can't see Green, Davis and O'Hare having sufficient impact in the PL. 

They are skilfull players, no doubt, but they have had the opportunity to shine and (to me at least) are just not taking full advantage of that opportunity. If Green had put his shot into the back of the net last night, instead of against the bar, I might be still on his side, but having worked the space to get in his shot, he missed a great chance to give a further lift to his name. For me, he seems to lack a degree of urgency, though he does work hard.

Having said all that the unavailability of El Ghazi gave RHM a surprise opportunity, and what speed and skill he has! Yes, perhaps he does have a couple of raw edges, but rather than put him out on loan I think he should be on the Villa's first-team bench and brought on as the occasion demands.

As to the performances of Villa's new acquisitions, I can't help but see the combination of Jota and Wesley with the added ingredient of Grealish developing a great understanding. Meanwhile, Guilbert strikes me as a fine raiding wing-back. The other new ones seem content just to do what's needed and are feeling their way as they go. I have no reason to think they'll do anything but settle in fine.

But the midfield is intriguing to me. McGinn, surprisingly, doesn't seem to have had so much of an impact and I'm seriously wondering whether Lansbury is a better link with Jack. Conor, meanwhile, has useful moments but I can't see him being successful in the hole in front of defence. Leastwise, not in the PL. Bikir? Mmmm... not sure; he's useful but, except as a late sub, doesn't seem to make a lot of impact.

Nevertheless, pre-season is building quite nicely, and I'm ready for more surprises in the remaining two pre-season games. And more signings, too!

UTV!

No comments: