Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Friday 17 March 2017

Are Villa Getting Onto A Roll?

Well, four wins out of five matches, with the latest win against Wednesday being the most satisfactory, I am just amazed that the game went as it did, Villa having survived two further injuries and a big penalty call, early on.

For me this is a period of Confirmation that the Villa squad now have the character to ward off all-comers at VP; Confirmation that the feebleness of recent years is being put well and truly behind us; and Confirmation that the preparation for a promotion challenge is gathering pace.

Now, though I also confirm I’m not a huge fan of Bruce, I believe that he’s shown a lot of experience and self-belief in transforming what he has from a timid bunch into a team that now look as though they’re there for a purpose. No, it’s not great football, but it would seem to me that what’s happening is pleasing the fans enough to keep ’em coming. The attendance average at VP is just short of 32,000.

I also feel that the results in January and February were inevitable given the Africa Nations Cup interference and the fact that Bruce wanted to overhaul the shysters and bring in hungry players. The new group are showing their mettle and I can only see it getting better.

To gain success you sometimes have to endure pain, and I think that the January and February period was just a necessary pain.

It is to Bruce’s credit we can still win and concede no goals with so many injuries.


So, going by Villa's recent form, I would expect a win out of Villa at strugglers Wigan tomorrow. However, we have expected Villa to win away before this season, with the hope coming to nothing. But with virtually a new Villa side in view I am reasonably hopeful that Villa will find a way through this one. Certainly, if Villa score early then a 2 or 3 goal victory should result. But - there again - I am always the optimist!

No comments: