Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Paul Lambert - A Blessing, I suggest


I feel that most fans are pretty well satisfied (in a nervous sort of way!) that PL is leading Villa in a decent way that should lead to success of some kind in the next (very) few years.

It could be that he's walking a tightrope (that could end in the Championship if he's not very careful) but the question has been raised whether he should have kept Collins or Cuellar - or both. My view is that I don't feel that keeping Collins or Cuellar would have helped very much and certainly would not have been an improvement over Vlaar and Clark. I also think that Lowton seems to get better as the season wears on and therefore Cuellar at r-b (where he was always a bit suspect) would not be better in that way either.

For me the key area that Villa need to improve on is in midfield, and I trust that in January something will be done there. Belatedly, but better late than never.

In the meantime, provided their heads don't drop over the next couple of weeks, I see things getting better if the team is given time to settle.

I believe the key problem is the board, who i.m.o. have created the mess that's been with us over the last 2.5 years. They're not bad people but people who have shown naiivity and, in my view, not much taste (the strip design, the logo design and Ginteng Islands as the sponsor as being the best examples of that) and we need PL to keep them on a decent path on the pitch at least.

After the last 2.5 years, surely PL is a blessing?!
.

No comments: