Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Sunday 16 October 2011

A Bright Future For Whom?

From what I saw of yesterday's match, the score could easily have been 5-1 or worse - and City did not seem to me to be firing on all cylinders.

No surprises on the result, then - to me at least. But does this result make Villa a team destined for doom, which was my fear at the start of the season? I think not. But neither does the current set up instill hope in me.

City have already laid waste to several teams this season, so Villa was just another scalp of another team that don't have a chance for major honours. Villa are just another also-ran team; without any substantial quality in midfield and without cash to do anything about it, I can only see Villa remaining at this level for the next few years at best. There seems to be little chance of a decent return where money has been spent on experienced and supposedly talented players in that area - Ireland and Nzogbia. And Bent's goals have - not surprisingly - virtually dried up. Villa might get 15 million for him I suppose when he decides to leave next year.

Not so long back the owner said that the future is bright, but it is not - it is humdrum. We seem to again be left to reflect on former glories and celebrate the achievements of the great William McGregor (this December) while the top management at Villa Park seem to be adrift from the heart of the club. And I am unable to see when Villa will again show real aspirations to rise, as a phoenix, to compete with the pretenders.

Where art though, my Aston Villa?

Just how great was Mac?
Read "The Inspirational William McGregor" to make a better judgment!
Link to the McGregor page.

.

No comments: