Thoughts and issues regarding the past and present of a great football club by "The Chronicler".

Friday 27 May 2022

What Kind Of World Are We Heading For?

Kamara will be picking up at least a whopping €500k a month at Aston Villa, which works out at €125,000 a week, or €6m a year. That accounts for around half of the £60m he’ll pick up over 5 years, which means Villa could have also given him as much as a £30m signing on fee to get him ahead of the competition. That is according to this article.

If that is true - and we must surely realise now that money seems no longer to be an issue at Villa Park - then in the light of the European Champions team of 1982 receiving in the order of just £500 per week at that time, with fairly ordinary club-supplied cars on top I believe, how do we feel about these modern payments?

Do they make sense in a world where there is vastly increasing devastation and poverty? A world where people on Pacific islands watch the water lapping up their beaches, just waiting for their islands to submerge. A world where half of humanity seems to be on the move - or will be soon. That's forgetting what's happening to wildlife who hold no value to the mining and deforestation companies.

Though - of course! - I want to see my football club do well, I cannot accept the justice in the payment of these sums that seem to be germinating at Villa Park. Those with nothing must be looking on and asking "What is all this about?".

Of course, we have known of a number of highly-paid players who send a large proportion of their income back home to those in need, whichever country they come from. Or UK born players who have shown a social conscience. But I wonder just how many there are who do that?

On top of that, Villa supporters will have to fork out more for their season tickets I understand. For many, the choice is already to eat or heat. What choices are Villa supporters making I wonder? All in the name of wanting success, but at any price?

Archie Hunter said, so long, long ago, "I never have much sympathy with players who put pecuniary conditions first and think of the sport afterwards" in this statement:

Some of the old members, myself among the number, who had been playing as amateurs, had a great reluctance to be paid for our services. Our diffidence may or may not have been reasonable, but it was sincere. When we finally ceased to be amateurs I may say that we left it entirely with the committee to arrange terms; and I never have much sympathy with players who put pecuniary conditions first and think of the sport afterwards. But professionalism is so strong and competition for good players so great that a ‘pro’ may ask for a good round sum as a retaining fee [plus] a high salary and stand every chance of obtaining both.

"Times have changed", you say? Haven't they. "Have they got better?", is what I ask.

I also ask, "Is all this sustainable?"

UTV : Undecided about The Villa 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, I fully agree with your sentiments and it's one of the reasons I stopped going regularly some years ago. I couldn't reconcile the massive sums floating around the game given the realities of the world we are all custodians of. For all the positive spin regarding the good deeds of clubs and players alike the game, as I knew it, (or should I say 'industry') has been rotting for some years now. Those closest to the core don't see it and happily go on filling their boots. These trends started with the world of the 'Premiership' -it's like football didn't exist before then. I don't believe it's sustainable.

Iana said...

I agree too, John.
How can everyday people seriously respect these overpaid professionals? Many of them are just mercenaries, no better than most of us, except they're better football players.
I don't care who Villa sign anymore. It doesn't mean the club will do well. It doesn't make a difference until they can get a squad together that cares and as a collective are serious about doing their best for their poor fans.

John Lerwill said...

Thanks for your comments, fellers. Yes, the writing has been on the wall about the PL for a long time, I accept that. But the kind of talk coming from Dean Smith when he was there gave me reason to think there was a viable way forward - for Villa at least.

Now we seem to have been caught up with the general trend. Inevitably I suppose.